Thursday, December 20, 2007

I Heart Pete


Some of you may be aware that I slightly like USC football. Just a little bit. I didn't always like it. I was here in the Carson Palmer/Mike Williams days, but I wasn't impressed. Williams' shenanigans (not Palmer or other USC players of the time) reminded me of what I had become familiar with and expected of superstar college football players, having been at FSU and UMiami in their heydays. They were self-centered, egotistical players waiting for the day they would be NFL eligible and the money and fame would roll in. I probably incorrectly associated Pete's entire team with this sort of behavior and I didn't want any part of it. But as I watched closely, at both on campus events and during football games, the team almost always handled itself with great class and dignity, both in wins and losses. Whenever I'd hear Carroll interview, it was clear that this was his influence. On the rare occasions that I've been within speaking capacity of Coach, he has always surprised me with his kindness and approachability. I love the team, but really, I love him and the effect he has had on USC football. If you have the time (be warned, it is a long article), please go read J.R. Moehringer's article in Los Angeles magazine about Pete Carroll. It is a great profile that isn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home