Friday, October 19, 2007

Read any good books lately?

I know it's a cheesy conversation starter, but I am really searching for a good book to read. I've been following the Man Booker Prize and the Nobel Prize for Literature. Although, I'm usually not a big fan of modern literature, some titles I came across looked interesting. And then I found some other ones that may be good. Have any of you read these: Animal's People, A Clockwork Orange, Midnight's Children, The Last of the Wine, True History of the Kelly Gang, and The Inheritors? If so, let me know what you think, or please alert me to anything else you may have read that you like.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandgroper said...

Midnight's Children is Salman Rushdie's, right?

Couldn't get past page 39.. Twice I tried, and page 39 was the best I could muster. Somehow, Salman Rushdie's writing never resonates with me. Have never been able to finish any of his books. Tried to read Satanic Verses and it was too convoluted, which Ground Beneath Her Feet was nice, but just toooo long and dragged.

I have read a couple of Booker Prize Winners.

Life of Pi is definitely my favourite. It is one of my favourite books.

God of Small things: No clue what the brouhaha was all about. I read it and D read it. She loved it, I hated it. It's about a girl growing up in Kerala. Unfortunately, since neither case is applicable to me, I could not relate to it.

I have two other Booker winners in my collection: Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha - Roddy Doyle and Inheritance of Loss - Anita Desai. Neither have been able to touch.

4:06 AM

 
Blogger Meghna said...

Yah Rushdie. I've heard really good things about him and this book seems to have an interesting enough premise. Life of Pi is definitely one of my favorites too. I haven't read God of Small Things, but wasn't too interested when reading the synopsis. Let me know if you ever get around to Inheritance of Loss.

10:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

8:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home