Monday, December 04, 2006

Fat free foam fails to fall flat

We've had an ongoing discussion (read: argument) in our lab about whether full fat milk is better for the cappuccinos or non-fat milk. It started when I told the peeps that I read somewhere that non-fat foams better. Oh my god!! My PI wouldn't hear it. Connoisseur that he is refused to touch the stuff when it was bought for our lab machine. And many other "snobs" (honestly, I'm a snob too but at least less than them, so ha!) agreed. So for months now we've been getting the full fat. Dilemma: Nowadays many of us are also watching our weight and since we have now slowly progressed to a daily cap habit, and are really starting to worry about when we'll have to increase the dosage to two a day, the full fat milk poses a significant problem to the aforementioned weight loss (in my case, more like "please God, no more gain!!"). So last week, myself and another, after about five minutes of "should we really do this?", broke down and bought low fat milk. That act opened the floodgates of courage and boldness for me, and today I went and got the non-fat for the machine (still need to switch labels though, so PI et al think they are none the worse). I still hadn't decided whether I thought one was better than the other. It's difficult to judge because when you order at coffee shops, they usually can't foam well to begin with, and so the nonfat foam just becomes big airy bubbles, where as it is much harder to do that with full fat and you're duped into thinking full fat is better. It's not. It's just easier. Today I foamed the non-fat and was so happy to find that it was SO much better then the full fat. Nice pillowy, cloudy, consistent, non-deflatable foam. One problem though. The milk is so watered down, the cap flavor is reduced. So maybe full fat for the addition, nonfat for the foam? That's a Starbucks order to try. "I'll have a tall cappuccino please with non-fat foam but full-fat milk". I wonder if they've heard that yet. And yes I know how ridiculous this post is. I'm not even going to try to pretend that it isn't out there. But this is me folks. This is how ridiculous/pretentious I've become when it comes to my espresso drinks. I blame graduate school. Great need for caffeine mixed with a drive to really research the hell out of something mixed with time to do it when trying to avoid your own failing research. And my PI. Getting a top of the line machine for the lab. The nerve of him. In my defense, I've already had a double shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home