Saturday, December 02, 2006

Music Nostalgia

I got a tune stuck in my head the other day. Before long I had placed it and was on iTunes downloading Crazy Love and other Brian McKnight songs that had very distinct memories of 1994/1995 for me. Its amazing and beautiful and strange how music can awaken memories and all the feelings associated with those memories for you. Something you haven't thought of for years is suddenly, and very vividly, present in your dreams that night. Someone you haven't spoken to for what feels like an eternity is now so alive in your mind.

I think musicians are special as artists in that way. They, like other artists, have the power and the ability to render their art to be so many different things to many different people. They have the power to affect the minds, hearts, memories of their fans. But, I know of no other thing besides the sense of smell, that can evoke that same amount of physical nostalgia. That can transform a person to another time and place. Complete with images and emotions. In that way, I think music is really awesome as an art.

I'm so glad to have remembered these songs and have the chance to feel sixteen again. Even if its only for five minutes (that's probably as long as I would be able to tolerate my sixteen year old self anyway).

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandgroper said...

So finally you can relate to all the inane songs that Sumit has on his iPod. They all have a memory for us.

News from here is that we are doing well.. Had spoken with the Gargs over the Thanksgiving weekend.. Weren't sure if you guys would be around for the long weekend.. Knew that with 2 kids in tow, Mr. Garg ain't going to far!!

D doing well.. I know that I should be writing all this in an email.. So will do so onceyou reply..

1:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home