Monday, October 09, 2006

USC Football

I've been on edge all season watching most of the USC football games. I mean I LOVE this team. I love college football in general, but I really love USC football. During my undergraduate stint, I spent time in some amazing college football schools including Florida State and University of Miami. I despised Miami, but loved FSU. However, it doesn't compare to how I feel about USC football. Sure I love that we're good. I love the players, the atmosphere, the games, the coach. But most importantly, I love the philosophy and class of the Trojans. It is something I never saw at UM, and seldom found at FSU. They won me over in 2003 when they were shunned by the BCS for the national championship game. I was so impressed with how much heart they played against Michigan. Without whining. Without complaining. This was their national championship. Regardless of what some bowl said. I knew then that Pete Carroll and his Trojans, my Trojans, were something special. And the following season they continued to play with amazing skill and grace. Now though, I realize I am spoiled. 28 straight wins at home. A record. More than the second and third teams on the list combined. Two undefeated regular seasons (Yes. I have almost effectively erased the Rose Bowl from my memory). Three Heisman winners in the last four years including God's gift to football: Reggie Bush. But I get scared watching us play these days. I'm afraid of losing. I know it will happen. It has to happen. These Trojans look good on paper. But are nerve-wrecking to watch. I was very kindly reminded of games last season, USC v. Notre Dame, Fresno State v. USC, Cal v. USC the year before. All edge of your seat games. All possible losses. Why do I feel so much more disappointed with my Trojans this year? It's not fair to them. I can say though that I will love them when they lose. And continue to staunchly defend them without just reason or sound logic. And I won't jump off of the bandwagon. This love will last a long time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fight On! Trojans Rock!

10:27 AM

 
Blogger Sandgroper said...

Oregon State???? C'mon!!!!!

8:01 PM

 
Blogger Meghna said...

Yah. I know. But I told you it would happen right? And did you see the amazing effort put forth in the fourth quarter? As Coach said after the Notre Dame game last year "My guys really believe"

10:56 PM

 
Blogger Sandgroper said...

Wouldn't know what you're talking about. I just heard someone say during a meeting that USC finally lost.

8:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home