Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Things That I Think (Part I)

(Thank you to Sandgroper for this idea)

1. The Nintendo Wii is amazing. Revolutionary. Everything I dislike about video games, it fixes. Problem with traditional games: you sit on your butt immersed in a game, not getting any activity but your fingers with the controller. Solution via Wii: An interactive remote with a sensor that ensures you actually perform the move you want to see happen for the game to register it. Although I gotta say I'm getting lots of Wii related injuries these days: pinched nerve from swinging the remote for bowling, sore shoulders and arms from kicking Splendor's butt while boxing :) And then there are the rumors of people smashing their TV's by accidentally throwing the controllers into them...

2. Why are people such downers? Case in point. I was recently telling someone that with 4 weeks of training, I managed to shave a minute and a half off of my mile run time (before you go getting all impressed, my starting time was a turtle's pace of 12 min/mi, now down to 10.5 min/mi, respectable for me). An acquaintance overheard and then joined in on the conversation when we were discussing doing an upcoming race.He felt the need to tell us that unless you can do a 9 minute mile, you shouldn't bother, because you're clearly not fit enough to be racing. Why? Was that really necessary?

3. Unless you want to be humiliated, don't go into a bookstore and ask them to help you find a book when the only information you have is "a recent book with the orange hand on the cover". I'm just saying...it was kind of humiliating when he asked everyone on intercom if they knew a book with an orange hand on the cover. Even more so when I learned the hand was red. (For those interested it was Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: A Novel).

4. Weekends go by SO slow without college football to occupy your Saturdays. We do lots of little things, but nothing like get up, tailgate, game, drive to dinner, drive home, sleep exhausted. In the spring, it's more on the line of: get up, eat and watch TV, go for a drive to the beach or somewhere, back home for more lazing, go to lunch, back home to sit around, go to lab for an hour or two, back home to laze, go to dinner, maybe a movie, back home and more sitting, sleep.

5. Despite all my apprehension of the big 30 for me next year, I feel more confident, more content, more sure of myself and just plain happier now then I have ever before in my life. Although I loathe that I will probably still be a student at the age of 30 without any major success in sight, I wouldn't want to go back and be the person I was ten or even five years ago. I knew nothing of anything. I am pretty certain I will look back five years from now and thing the same about myself now, but for the moment, just the moment, this is a good one.

To Be Continued...

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandgroper said...

You're welcome .. Maybe I ought to make it a weekly thing.. Let's see

People are downers by nature.. Most often, they don't mean it though.. What they think are honest opinions, devoid of any meanness, turn out to be somewhat arrogant for others... Take it in the spirit .. If you have the belief that you are doing the best that you possibly can, who cares what someone else is doing.. Some people run marathons to win, some others run them to stay fit.. And then, there are those like yours truly, who run marathons in their dreams..

Cheers,
C
PS: Notice the correct usage of the apostrophe in all cases ..

10:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home